So I thought now was a good time to start. Nathan and I are the proud owners of DIRT out in the sticks!
We aren’t halfway however we are at the point where things seem official. However let’s summarize from the beginning.
In March Nathan and I got married and in April we decided we were ” ready ” to own our own home. We live in mMelbourne and anything we wanted we couldn’t afford, well not without selling a kidney or two. So in April we decided to build, I looked up building companies and after a lot of time spent with unrealistic offers, we decided to build with Homebuyers Center. We spoke to Kade and he found us a block and a house to suit!
We are building the Eureka 22 with some alterations. So we deposited some of our life savings on the land and house and then we waited. Of course, there was paperwork and colors that we picked out in the interim but it was all a big waiting game. No fault to anyone we just had delays to our plot of dirt titling.
December! yes 8 months later our land titled, the bank settled, Nathan and I are in crippling debt but we are now in the next stage of the waiting game. Developer Approval.
Things that I have learned during this process is, it’s all very exciting, deflating and a long waiting game all at the same time. But seriously here are some real tips
- Start putting away your “mortgage” long before you even have one. Save now! Save often!
- Compare, compare, compare. Compare builders, compare designs, compare mortgage brokers, compare everyone you need to help with this process. You would be surprised how many building companies have very similar house designs for a fraction of the price.
- Pinterest keeps the fun. It’s a huge waiting game and Pinterest just keeps you excited.
- Make a non-negotiable list. Bathrooms, room area, everything…make the list!
- Never ever feel rushed, this is your future home, if you don’t like the plans don’t sign them.
- Know your block, which direction is it facing, how many windows face the south. Things like that. Try Lassi if your in Victoria
- Hire a third party building expected, they are worth the money.
- Use all available sites and help to understand the process more. Forums are great.
- Talk to people, sometime if you are referred to a company by a friend they have bonus they give.
- Save money!